Thursday, January 22, 2015

So, I'm thinking about getting my Real Estate License! What do I do?!

Well this will officially be my first Blog. 9 years ago when I started selling Real Estate, the thought of doing a blog, or having enough real estate information in my brain to even think I could educate someone else was just unthinkable. However, here I am, so many years later and so many years wiser to present some REAL information to you.
I plan to use this blog to help those of you that are thinking about becoming an agent. I want to explain the process, I want to make sure you understand the benefits as well as the drawbacks to selling real estate. I want to be REAL with you. I invite any questions and I will answer them the best I can.
Lets start with what it takes to become a real estate agent in the State of Nebraska.

1. Two classes at an approved school (60 hours)
2. Fingerprints and Background Check
3. Passing your State Exam

That sounds easy right? "Sounds" is the key word there. In reality hundreds of students will take the Nebraska Real Estate Exam and only a very few will pass on their first try. You must be at least 19 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent to be a Real Estate Agent in Nebraska.

Education
Class #1 should be Principals and Practices, this class will give an overview of terms, financing, law, and other items that you will need to know for your real estate exam.
Class #2 is your choice! You can chose from Real Estate Law, Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Sales & Brokerage and several other classes depending on the school you chose to attend.
The average cost for classes is $250.00 a piece. We also HIGHLY recommend an exam prep class right before you sit for your exam. The average cost of this class is $100.00.

Fingerprints & Background Check
Your fingerprints are a big pain in the rear! You can request a Salesperson packet from the Nebraska Real Estate Commission. In this packet you will receive fingerprint cards. The State Patrol has a wonderful electronic machine that they use to print your fingertips. This is such a wonderful option because it prevents smudges. It takes an average of 6-8 weeks to hear back on your background check and the last thing you want to hear is that your prints were rejected because of a smudge and that you have to start all over! The cost for your background check is $33 and must be paid when you send in your prints.

The Exam...(Que horror music...)
Before taking your exam, you will need to complete a license application that will be approved or denied by the Nebraska Real Estate Commission. The application fee is currently $135.00. When you pay the $135.00 application fee you will also pay a $150.00 exam fee. Each "re-take" of the exam is also $150.00. I am not going to sugar coat it, the exam is HARD! Its meant to be! It takes dedication and the ability to study, study, study to pass this thing. True story, I have a very intelligent agent in my office that took the exam 9 times before finally passing. A "passing" score is 75% on BOTH the State and National portions of your exam. Oh ya, forgot to mention there are two portions! State and National obviously.

Links
Here is the link to the Nebraska Real Estate Commission Website. This site provides you with a list of approved pre-license courses and where they are offered. The pdf will also state whether or not those classes are offered online or correspondence through the school that you are looking at. I invite you to look around on this site, learn as much as you can about the process before you get started.
http://www.nrec.ne.gov/

This next link will take you to Randall School of Real Estate. Randall is where I completed all of my classes correspondence. Being a busy mom of two little boys, correspondence was the best option. I was able to work at my own pace and only reported to the school for a midterm and a final exam for each class.
http://randallschool.com/


Thank you for taking the time to read my first blog! Please feel free to ask any questions and look for next weeks blog..."Ok, so I passed my exam! Now what?!"





No comments:

Post a Comment